Sometimes, when you are trying to connect to the internet, the error message “DNS Server is Not Responding” is displayed by computer. Some of them might be wondering as to what is DNS server? Also some others might be wondering what is DNS error and how is it related with internet connectivity and what should be done when DNS server isn’t responding.
DNS stands for Domain Name Server and this error can prevent you from using the internet. However, there is nothing to worry about as there is a simple way to fix the problem of DNS error. One just has to follow a couple of easy steps in order to fix the problem when the DNS server isn’t responding.
There are several reasons that can lead to such an error. Some of them can be listed as follows:
- Issues with website hosting system
When you open any website, you might receive two of the following errors:
a) DNS server not responding:
This might be a temporary problem for the DNS not responding due to which you would not be able to access the website. This is because if the website is facing downtime issues, due to various internal technical issues.
b) DNS server not found:
In case if the link is expired or the website has shut down, because of which the hosting service provider has also removed all the database of that particular website, you might get an error stating “DNS server not found” or “DNS server unavailable”.
c) DNS server unavailable
The website server has completely shut-down or the hosting company has stopped providing hosting services to the websites.
2) DNS server in computer is not working
Sometimes, your DNS server might be unavailable on your computer or DNS server on your computer might be not working and may be corrupt due to which you find difficulties in connecting to internet.
3) Computer Firewall
Another reason can be that the security firewall on your computer has by accident blocked your computer from accessing certain websites.
In case if the DNS server is not responding because of website server issues, the only way to access website is to wait till the problem is fixed by the website backend so that the site is up for the users to access. Let us now look into how to how to fix DNS server in your computer as the problem lies within the computer itself in case of the latter scenario.
There are three possible ways where the problem relay lies.In order to fix this problem, one has to verify one’s internet connection. This is the primary step that tells us where the problem really lies. Try to connect another device to the internet and use that to access the same website. If the other device does not show this error, then the problem lies with your computer itself. However, if the second device also shows the same error message, the problem is actually in the router or ISP. Another alternate way to fix the problem is to try and open the desired web page with another browser. If the problem lies with the proxy setting of the browser, all one has to do is change the proxy settings to Automatic.
How to rectify DNS error on Windows OS?
- Open the Network and Sharing Center by clicking the computer icon that is visible on the system tray (Alternatively, you can go to the Start menu, then to the Control Panel, and choose Network and Internet).
- Click on ‘Change Adapter Settings’. With this method, you will reach the Local Area Connection icon.
- Right click on the Local Area Connection and click on Properties.
- When the Local Area Connection Properties window opens, choose the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).
- Select Properties again.
- Now, change the DNS address.
- In order to do that, first click on the “Use the following DNS Server addresses” option.
- Then, in the field for the Preferred DNS Server, enter: 188.8.131.52.
- In the field for the Alternate DNS Server, enter: 184.108.40.206.
- Tick on the box for “Validate settings upon exit” and finish by clicking OK.
- This should fix the problem of “DNS Server is Not Responding”.
This is a highly effective method of ensuring that is error does not keep hindering your use of the internet.
How to fix DNS server in Mac OS?
- Click on Apple menu
- Select “System Preferences”
- Double-click network icon
- Go to “TCP/IP” tab
- Here, you get an option to change DNS settings
- Enter the appropriate DNS server details in the DNS server box
- Click on “Apply Now to apply settings”
The settings are successfully modified. It is further recommended to restart your system for the changes to take place.
How to fix DNS server in Android Device?
Most of the time, you are using the DNS servers of your Internet service provider by default. However, it is not recommended to stick to it always. Most of the reasons to use different DNS servers includes, gaining faster access to internet service. Access website censored by your ISP, Availing advanced security features and the list goes on.
There are several applications on Android devices, a few available on Play Store, the rest available downloading from unknown resources. However, the latter option is a risky one as that might even affect your device if the software has malware content. In case you wish to change the DNS server, it is recommended to root the device as there will be a limit to changing DNS server in case if the device is not rooted.
The steps are different for different software’s available in the market. Some software’s only provide options to change the DNS server details for Wi-Fi while there are software’s that provides settings to change DNS server for both Wi-Fi and data network (The change of DNS server of data network still depends upon the network service provider). Some of the well-known apps are: DNSet and DNS Changer.
How to fix DNS server in iOS?
- Tap on “settings”
- Tap on Wi-Fi (Switch it on if it is switched-off)
- Select a Wi-Fi network
- Find “i” letter enclosed in a circle and click on it
- Tap on Text field next to DNS label and enter the DNS address
- The changes will be auto-saved
- Exit the settings